Choosing your major is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as a college student. After all, your major is one the main factors (though not the only one!) that will determine your career options after graduation. However, if you’re feeling overwhelmed about declaring a major, don’t worry: you’re not alone! Read on for five resources that can guide you in your decision:
- Fill out this worksheet from QuintCareers.com. This tool allows you to chart your interests, abilities, and values to narrow down your search. It’s also a good way to compare notes based on your research of potential majors and careers.
- Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook. The OOH states the education and training needed for hundreds of occupations. If you have an idea of what career you’d like to pursue, the OOH can help you determine the major and degree requirements for your chosen field.
- Know your Myers-Briggs personality type. If you still aren’t sure what field you’d like to enter, you can use your Myers-Briggs personality type to help identify potential careers. See last week’s post to learn about the Myers-Briggs personality indicator and determine your type. Also, check out this article for tips on choosing a major based on your Myers-Briggs type.
- Take the Strong Interest Inventory. Like the Myers-Briggs personality indicator, the Strong Interest Inventory can help you identify careers that suit your strengths and interests. With this knowledge in hand, you can choose your major based on your desired career. If you haven’t taken the Strong Interest Inventory yet, but would like to do so, contact your OCRS advisor.
- Visit your school’s Career Services office! One of the best resources for help with choosing a major is right at your fingertips! To learn more about what Career Services can offer you, plan to attend one of the Career Services Workshops offered by the Office of College Retention and Success next month. Choose from one of the following sessions, depending on your spring break schedule:
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
11:00 AM-12:00 PM
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
11:00 AM-12:00 PM
RSVP to Kelly Crodian at 215-790-1666 ext. 420